A safe and secure District of Columbia prepared for all threats and hazards.
The Mission of the District of Columbia Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA) is to lead the planning and coordination of homeland security and emergency management efforts to ensure that the District of Columbia is prepared to prevent, protect against, respond to, mitigate, and recover from all threats and hazards.
How We Work
HSEMA accomplishes our mission by:
• Developing emergency preparedness plans and procedures in coordination with District agencies, service providers, and private businesses;
• Training and exercising District emergency operations plans;
• Delivering emergency preparedness exercises, trainings, seminars, and conferences to local first responders, city employees, and public and private stakeholders;
• Maintaining ongoing situational awareness of potential threats and hazards;
• Serving as the central communications point for District agencies and regional partners before during and after an emergency;
• Leading the District’s public safety planning efforts for events requiring interagency coordination such as festivals, parades, marathons, and other local or special events;
• Keeping the public informed through AlertDC, the HSEMA Mobile App, and our community outreach and training programs.