While earthquakes are not common in the District, a minor earthquake was felt here in July 2010 and there is still a possibility that one could occur in or around the DC metropolitan area.
If you feel an earthquake you should:
- Take cover under a desk, table, bed or door frame.
- Stay clear of windows and other glass.
- Stay put until the shaking stops.
- Find an open area clear of buildings and power lines if you are outdoors.
- Stop your vehicle (preferably in an open area).
- Listen to the radio and follow instructions.
- DO NOT enter damaged structures.
- Check all gas lines.
- Inspect chimney or have chimney inspected before using the fireplace.
- Expect to feel aftershocks, which are usually smaller in size, and take the aforementioned precautions.