No one is ever ready for an emergency but you can be prepared. When you know where to get information, have the right supplies, and have a plan for you, your loved ones, and your pets, you can protect yourself and your family before a crisis and for at least 72hours afterwards.
The Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA) iPhone/iPad/Android application contains important information you can use before, during and after an emergency or disaster such as:
· Emergency evacuation routes that lead you out of the District
· Alert DC emergency text alerts
· Current weather outlooks from the National Weather Service
· Disaster safety tips
· Help lines that provide telephone numbers to essential emergency resources and information
· A calendars informing the public about emergency preparedness training, HSEMA Community Outreach events as well as special events such as marathons and street festivals
· A direct link to the local transit authority’s (METRO) main website and twitter page
· List of shelters that are opened after a disaster occurs
· A direct link to FEMA’s website,
· Maps of where District Police and Fire stations are located
· Regional preparedness links
· Steps to take to make a family emergency plan, a go kit, and much more!
The tools in this app help ensure that no matter where you are or what you are doing you'll be prepared. The app is free to download through the GooglePlay Store and the Apple App Store.