Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency

DC Agency Top Menu

Heat Emergency - A heat emergency is in effect for Washington, DC. Residents are urged to take precautions against the heat.
Find cooling centers, spray parks and more information about heat emergencies.


-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Utility Outage

Utility Outage icon

A utility outage occurs when electricity, water or gas services are interrupted. 

To be prepared for an outage:

  • Keep a battery-powered or hand-crank radio,  flashlights and an extra supply of fresh batteries.
  • Store supplies, such as blankets, water, non-perishable foods and a manual can-opener.

If there is an electricity outage you should:

  • Use flashlights - NOT candles.
  • DO NOT use a generator inside a home or garage.
  • Listen to local radio or television for updated information
  • If the air conditioner is not functioning stay cool by keeping out of direct sunlight and moving to the lowest floor of the building.
  • Remember that perishable items from the refrigerator can be kept cool for about 4 hours if the refrigerator is left closed.
  • Use refrigerated foods first, frozen foods second and non-perishable foods last.
  • Learn how to safely and properly switch on/off gas valves, water lines, circuit breakers, once utilities have been restored.
  • DO NOT use charcoal indoors! Without proper ventilation, fumes from burnt charcoal can kill!

If  there is no heat you should:

  • Maintain ventilation when using kerosene heaters to avoid build-up of toxic fumes. Refuel kerosene heaters outside and keep them at least three feet from flammable objects.
  • Make sure every member of the household has a warm coat, gloves, hat, and water resistant boots.
  • Ensure that extra blankets and heavy clothes are available.
  • To save heat during a winter storm close off unneeded rooms, cover windows at night and stuff towels or rags in the cracks under doors.

For power outages, call Pepco's 24-Hour Outage Report Line at 1 (877) 737-2662.

For general questions or to report a problem, call the Mayor's Citywide Call Center at 311.