(Washington, DC) – Mayor Muriel Bowser announced that DC Government will open on time on Tuesday, January 16. Supervisors are encouraged to allow for liberal leave for those employees who wish to take leave due to weather conditions.
Last night, Mayor Bowser announced that DC Public Schools will be closed on Tuesday, January 16.
The District Snow Team remains deployed. Based on current weather conditions, intermittent snow is expected through 1 pm, including freezing rain from 5 am - 12 pm. Residents should travel with caution and not crowd plows as salting and plowing operations continue.
Winter Weather Tips
- Apply abrasives – deicer, rock salt or non-clumping kitty litter – on sidewalks.
- Have enough over-the-counter and prescription medications for your family and pet(s).
- Make sure your gutters are cleared of leaves. You don’t want leaves to block the flow of rainwater that may freeze.
- Turn off all outdoor water faucets.
- Keep your vehicle’s fluids tanks – gas, water, antifreeze and windshield wiper – full.
- Have a flashlight, blankets, and scrapers in your vehicle before a storm begins.
The District Snow Team will continue to monitor the weather forecast and adjust its response as necessary. For more information about DC’s snow program and preparing for winter weather, visit snow.dc.gov. Residents and commuters are encouraged to register for important weather alerts from the District by signing up for AlertDC at alert.dc.gov.