About HSEMA's Internship Program
Applications for HSEMA's Summer 2023 intern cohort are now OPEN.
HSEMA's internship program provides real-world knowledge and experience in emergency management, homeland security efforts, public affairs, and intelligence analysis. Our internship program seeks qualified graduate and undergraduate students who are majoring in a wide-variety of fields. A highly qualified applicant will possess the following: self-motivation, attention to detail, critical thinking skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
In-Person Internship Opportunities
The application period is Monday, March 20 through Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 11:59 pm EST. Any applications submitted after this period will not be considered. HSEMA's summer internship session runs from Monday, June 12 through Friday August 18, 2023. Additional details about the internship opportunities we have available are found in the advertisements below. Please send any questions regarding the internship program to [email protected].
- Division of Operations and Intelligence - Strategic Intelligence Bureau
- Division of Operations and Intelligence - Preparedness Bureau
- Division of Operations and Intelligence - Readiness and Response, and Coordination Bureau
- Dission of Mission Support - Finance and Administration Bureau
- Division of Mission Support - Resilience Bureau
- Division of Mission Support -Technology Innovation Bureau
- Executive Office - Office of Policy, Performance, and Data
- Executive Office - Office of External Affairs
- DC Department of Human Services (DHS)
Internship Eligibility and Requirements
HSEMA is looking for candidates who are:
- Undergraduates (juniors or seniors) or graduate students
- In good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 at a U.S. college or university
- Enrolled in courses for the time of the internship.
*To apply, you must be a U.S. citizen. All applications are subject to a criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY
Students must submit an application through our online portal by April 20, 2023 at 11:59 pm EST. Application packages not containing each of the documents stated below will not be considered. Variations in forms submitted will automatically cause an applicant's rejection. Please submit any questions about the application process, via email, to [email protected].
- Letter of recommendation on official letterhead
- Upload a video/writing sample for the following prompt: What is an Emergency Management or Homeland Security issue that you would like to find a resolution to? (2 pages/2-minute maximum)
- Proof of enrollment, which may be supported by either (1) a transcript that indicates your anticipated graduation date, (2) a letter from school administration (NOT a professor) stating your anticipated graduation date and that you are in good standing, OR (3) a copy of your summer/fall 2023 class schedule